Thursday, November 19, 2015

The Twenty-third Psalm by Anonymous

Psalm 23King James Version (KJV)
23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


 
                         

 Psalm Twenty-three is a poem that uses metaphor "the Lord is my shepherd” to describe the relationship between a father and his son.  The poem begins with “I shall not want” to portray everything the son owns, the father owns.  The poem moves to describe the shepherd making the lamb" lie down in green pastures" and walk "besides the still waters."  This description represents the nurturing side of the father, making sure the son is happy and pleasant.  The poem then moves toward the spiritual aspect of the relationship.  The shepherd leading the lamb "in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake" emphasizes the father's efforts to help his son obtain eternal salvation.  The father understands their present life is trivial compared to what lies ahead after their death.  Towards the middle of Psalm Twenty-three, the author portrays the protection a father provides for his son.  The son knows his father will stand by him through thick and thin, so he “will fear no evil: for thou art” with him.  In this poem, the shepherd’s rod and staff symbolizes the father’s authority and masculinity, reassuring the son’s safety.   Towards the end of Psalm Twenty-three, the author shifts towards the providing feature of a father by describing a supper.  “Preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies” explains to the audience the father will have enough food to feed even his enemies.  In the end, the author revisits the first line of the poem by stating ”will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever,” portraying all of the son’s future prosperity occurred because of the father’s actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment